"NHSMUN sets the standard that MUNUC, BMUN, HMUN and NAIMUN need to follow. Smooth, knowledgeable, focused and elite. You guys are what others hope to be."Bob Timberlake, Faculty Advisor; Mira Costa High School
NHSMUN is the world’s largest and most prestigious high school conference. It features the best-trained staff on the circuit, made up of MUN experts from leading colleges and universities across the globe, each of whom has undergone IMUNA's accredited and rigorous training course. Because NHSMUN is attended by some of the most talented MUN delegates from around the world, it consistently features some of the highest-level debate on the MUN circuit.
Our location in New York City exposes students to one of the most prominent cultural centers of the world. Delegates can experience rigorous debate in the same day as they attend a Broadway Production or visit one of New York’s leading museums, such as The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Natural History.
However, the NHSMUN experience isn’t just created by the staff. At the conference, delegates also have the opportunity to meet and befriend students from dozens of other countries. Sometimes these students are from the country they are representing at the conference! Here are five reasons why you might enjoy NHSMUN:
1. Our Students - With 5000 students attending both conference sessions from roughly 75 countries around the world, NHSMUN promises a diverse mix of attendees who can provide insightful perspectives and new ways of thinking: exposure to which most students are not accustomed on a frequent basis. Coming together in New York City, the conference represents the global mindset required in today's society and the future generation to come.
2. Our Staff - Our Directors and Assistant Directors spend hundreds of hours throughout the year researching their committee topics to provide relevant background and research information for our students. In order to be well-versed in their topics, the dais for every committee produces an extensive background guide -- typically 50-75 pages -- to ensure that debate during the conference is robust and realistic. They also engage the students prior to the conference by requiring a position paper and providing detailed feedback for each delegation. In addition, our staff members are almost all former attendees of the conference. NHSMUN constantly strives to improve itself based on previous years' experience, and the legacy of participants joining staff helps make that a reality.
3. Our Topics - While many other conferences are becoming almost entirely crisis-focused and adding a plethora of non-traditional committees, NHSMUN commits to traditional United Nations committees which stress substantive debate of the most pressing issues in the world today. We believe that students benefit most from such debate and real-world topics, and that NHSMUN provides the perfect environment for serious and informative discussion on a global scale. We further believe that MUN should be about diplomacy and cooperation rather than competition, and strive to focus on the educational aspects rather than award students on an individual basis.
4. Our Programming - Our students do not attend NHSMUN only for committee sessions. NHSMUN provides opportunities for students to meet with current United Nations representatives and their staffs, by connecting student delegations and the Missions to the United Nations (embassies) of the country that the students represent. This experience is only possible in New York, where all of the Permanent Representatives and their Missions are located. NHSMUN's administrative staff prepares months in advance to set up as many meetings as possible, based on each Permanent Mission's scheduling availability. Our staff also schedules representatives and leaders of pertinent non-profit organizations to speak to our students in a Speaker Series, expanding their understanding of NGOs and their widespread influence. NHSMUN also engages the students through a Service Learning Project, in which we partner with a non-profit organization which shares our goals of improving the global community. Most recently, NHSMUN partnered with the Malala Fund and raised more than $10,000 to contribute to girls' education.
5. Our United Nations Experience - Due to the location of the NHSMUN conference and IMUNA's partnership with the United Nations, we are able to provide a unique experience to our participants by hosting our opening or closing ceremonies in the actual United Nations General Assembly Hall. Students are able to interact and participate in plenary sessions at the physical location, completing their MUN experience on a realistic note. Our students have consistently stated that sitting and participating in the real seats of the United Nations, using the actual microphones and standing at the exact podium that the world's most powerful leaders utilize, is one of the most impactful aspects of their experience at NHSMUN. Our conference gives students the opportunity to truly embrace a diplomat's mindset, and they leave the conference engaging the world in a transformed and unique manner.
"I attended NHSMUN as a delegate during all four years of high school, two of them as president of my Model UN Club. As the last stop on our conference circuit each year, NHSMUN always stood out to me for its professionalism, prestige, and values. Unlike other conferences we attended, NHSMUN was not organized by a university, instead hiring the best-qualified staff from around the world. Without such a heavy emphasis on awards, the conference was free to push a focus on education. Personally, NHSMUN helped me improve my public speaking skills, and their rigorous position paper guidelines coupled with well-research background guides educated me in world affairs and research methods long before I attended university. During my last NHSMUN as a delegate, which was coincidentally my last high school Model UN conference, my committee chair announced that they would be hiring Assistant Director positions for incoming college freshmen. I did not hesitate to apply. My three years with NHSMUN as a staff member shaped me as an adult, and I can definitively say I would not be the person I am today without this incredible organization."Max Kober, Former NHSMUN Delegate and Staff Member; Scarsdale High School and Tufts University